Wednesday 14 November 2012

Part 2


I naively had no idea that the process thus far would be so challenging. The new EU motorcycle test itself took time, the various practices and tests ranging from room based “Hazard Perception” to the mod 1 and 2 handling test took me over two months to complete. But from the moment I stepped over a full powered road machine I was hooked and road driving went from being a chore to a joy. An intense, engaging, frightening, exciting escape and in the process I have entered an exclusive tribe which at one time seemed remote hostile and exclusive.

I suppose I wanted a new challenge. Mountain and road biking were too familiar and although my rock climbing and off-piste snowboarding still hold the ability to push me to my limits, to a degree they are a familiar frison. Adventure motorbiking is a new thrill accompanied by new sensations, the heat of the engine, the smell of leather, hot tires, oil and dirt, it’s an intoxicating addictive mix. It comes with a set of sub cultures, folklawe, music and stories yet street fighters, cafĂ© racers, gangs and global travellers all appear bonded by a camaraderie gained from riding motorcycles. It links the Harley Davidson loving accountants with retro clothed oil splattered “wrench monkee”. For me the attraction is adventure, it’s the lure of the Mongolian desert that draws me into this niche, or at least the idea that I may travel there that does.

No comments:

Post a Comment